The Medium Solstice

Hello! Today I will be starting a new blog! My name is Windleaf McOrange and apparently I'll be posting things here. Be sure to check this website frequently, if you want! (:
Today was a hot summer day, as most days in June are. A few days ago, specifically June 20, I noticed that it was the summer solstice...which meant that it was the longest day of the year. By that, I don't mean it was over 24 hours or anything, but that there was more sunlight that day.
(You know, the word "day" is kind of confusing if you think about it. Because it could mean the 24 hours between yesterday and tomorrow, OR it could mean the time when there is sunlight, as opposed to night. Those should really be two separate terms, but I guess they aren't.)
Anyway, it occurred to me that since the summer solstice is when there is the most sunlight, and of course the winter solstice is when there is the LEAST sunlight, then there should be a medium day, where there is exactly the average sunlight of the summer and winter solstices. If you see which day is directly between the two solstices...then that should give you the medium sunlight day!
My dad helped me on this one, and so if the summer solstice is June 20 and the winter solstice is December 21, (which it is in 2017) then the medium sunlight day is...(Pretend to drum for dramatic effect)...September 20th! Mark you calendar for the day with the most average amount of sunlight!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5-Month Calendar

Incredibles 2 Re-Cap (as in I describe the whole plot quickly)